35 Tiger Facts in 1 Minute [Video]
July 29th is National Tiger Day! Let’s celebrate these big cats with 35 fun facts in 1 minute. Watch it here.
I love fun facts. Whether you want to hear them or not, nine times out of ten at some point during a conversation I will throw in a super random stupid fun fact. I really love Jeopardy.
Here are 35 tiger facts in 1 minute: (Full fact list below)
Subscribe to Cat Country 107.3 on
- There are only 6 remaining subspecies today.
- Tigers are solitary animals. They do not hunt or travel in groups. The only time tigers to get together is to mate.
- Three of the original 9 subspecies are extinct.
- A tiger can jump 33 feet in 1 leap.
- They are the biggest of all big cats.
- A group of tigers is called an ambush or streak. This rarely happens. (See no. 2)
- There are more tigers in captivity than there are in the wild.
- If you were to breed a tiger and a lion together it would be called a tigon or a liger.
- There are only 3,000-4,000 in the wild. Tigers have seen a decrease of around 96% of their population in 100 years.
- Tigers live on average 10-15 years in the wild.
- They are found only in Asia.
- A Siberian tiger can weigh up to 700 pounds. Siberians are the largest subspecies of tigers.
- Tigers love water. Unlike most cats, tigers love the water and even swim.
- A tiger’s roar can be heard about 2 miles away.
- Tigers can run 30-40 miles per hour in short bursts.
- A tiger’s stripes are like our finger prints, no two patterns are alike.
- From 1983-1987 the MGM lion’s roar was created using tiger sounds. There is a “fact” floating around online that Mufasa’s roar in The Lion King was a tiger, but I couldn’t find anything to confirm that.
- White tigers are cross eyed.
- As of 2016 tigers are extinct in Cambodia.
- Less than 10% of a tiger’s hunts are successful.
- A tiger can eat up to 60 pounds of meat in one night.
- White tigers are made through inbreeding. The captive white tigers you see at zoos all came from one single Bengal tiger. White tigers are extremely rare in the wild. There are no white Siberian tigers in the wild. In order to get a white tiger now, breeds use inbreeding. In 2008 a ban was placed on this practice.
- Tigers communicate with their tails.
- Tigers are the national animal for 5 countries: India, Bangladesh, North Korea, South Korea, and Malaysia.
- A dead adult male tiger sells for around $10,000 on the black market.
- A tiger’s stripes act as camouflage.
- A full grown tiger can grow up to 11 feet in length.
- Not only is a tiger’s fur striped, but their skin is too.
- Humans are the only predator to tigers.
- Tigers’ night vision is 6X better than a human’s.
- Tigers’ canine teeth can grow up to 3 inches in length.
- Tiger cubs have a 50% mortality rate.
- A female tiger has a 3.5 month pregnancy.
- In captivity a tiger can live 20-26 years.
- 2016 saw the first increase in the tiger population in 100 years.