Need a Reason to Feel Old Today?
Well, too bad. The 2012 Beloit College Mindset List was published today.
What the heck is that?
It's a nonscientific compilation of information to remind teachers that college freshman (mostly born in 1994....) see the world in a much different way.
The entire list is 75 references long, but I picked out the 15 best....
1. They never lived in a world where Kurt Cobain was alive.
2. They are so young, Ferris Bueller could be their dad.
3. Michael Jackson's family, not the Kennedy's constitutes "American Royalty."
4. Robert DeNiro is thought of as Greg Focker's father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone.
5. They have never seen an airplane "ticket."
6. For most of their lives, maintaining relations between the United States and the rest of the world has been a woman's job in the State Department.
7. They can't picture people actually having to carry luggage through airports rather than rolling it.
8. There has always been football in Jacksonville, but never in Los Angeles.
9. Women have always piloted war planes and space shuttles.
10. They have had to incessantly remind their parents not to refer to CD's and DVD's as "tapes."
11. There have always been blue M&M's, but not tan ones.
12. Herr Schindler has always had a List; Mr. Spielberg has always had an Oscar.
13. The Twilight Zone involves vampires, not Rod Serling.
14. Pulp Fiction's meal of a "royale with cheese" and an "Amos and Andy milkshake" has little or no resonance with them.
15. The Sistine Chapel ceiling has always been bright and clean.