A new implosion date and a new fundraising auction centered around the former Trump Plaza property in Atlantic City was announced Thursday morning.

Originally set for January 29th, Atlantic City Mayor Marty Small says the building will now be imploded on Wednesday, February 17th, at 9AM. The new date is a result of the discovery of an unexpected concrete foundation and a dispute with Carl Icahn, the owner of the building.

The dispute centers around the city's original plans to auction-off the right to ceremoniously push a button to demolish the building, which would have raised money for the Boys & Girls Club of Atlantic City, however, Icahn objected to the plan after bidding had started.

Bids had reached nearly $175,000 before abruptly stopping last week, but Icahn says he will donate that amount of money to the organization.

At a press conference Thursday morning, Small also announced that both Hard Rock and Ocean Casinos will auction hotel rooms for overnight stays so people can watch the implosion. Money raised this time will also go to the Boys & Girls Club.

NJ.com also reports people will be able to watch the implosion from Bader Field if they pay a parking fee.

Construction of the casino began in June, 1982, and it opened as Harrah's at Trump Plaza on May 14, 1984. The casino closed in September, 2014.</> Since then, the high-rise has sat vacant and has recently suffered storm-related damage.

 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app

South Jersey Things That Aren't There Anymore