Celebrate National Sponge Cake Day With These Recipes!
Some people don't enjoy heavy desserts in the summertime. If you're a cake person, but can't do anything too rich or too heavy when the heat is basically unbearable, then sponge cake is the perfect choice! It's not too heavy and not too overwhelming. With that being said.....
Happy National Sponge Cake Day!
What better way to celebrate than with a few delicious recipes to try? The list below includes three different sponge cake recipes: one Victoria sponge cake, one low-fat chocolate sponge cake recipe, and one vegan sponge cake! For even more fun, add some food coloring to make your confectionery delight a tad brighter. Rainbow, perhaps?
Depending on how creative you'd like to get and how much time you've got to spend in the kitchen today, there is also a simple icing recipe included as well.
Ingredients: 1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of sugar, 2 eggs, 1tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup softened butter, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1 cup flour
- Grease 8 inch pan; preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift the flour and baking powder in medium sized bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar until the substance is light and airy, add eggs (room temp) one at a time making sure to blend each egg into the mixture before adding the next, beat in vanilla, pour flour into mixture along with milk and mix. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in oven for roughly 20 minutes. Before cooling, test the cake with a toothpick. If the toothpick slides out with no residue, the cake is done. Leave in the pan for 10 minutes, then flip onto cooling rack for another 10 minutes to finish cooling.
- Serve as is or add a delicious frosting.
Ingredients: Olive Oil cooking spray, 4 range-free egg whites, pinch of salt, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, 2.5 oz sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 Braeburn apples (peeled, cored, grated), 3.5 oz sifted flour, 1.5 oz sifted cocoa powder
- Grease 8 inch pan with olive oil cooking spray; preheat oven to 330 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form when whisk is removed from the bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, whole eggs, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl until pale.
- Add apples, flour, and cocoa powder with metal spoon, then add a third of the egg white mixture into the cocoa mixture. After thoroughly mixed, add to the rest of the egg white mixture.
- Transfer to pan and bake for 30 minutes. Perform the toothpick test, then let cool for 10 minutes.
-Transfer to wire rack to completely cool.
Ingredients: 1/4 tsp almond extract, 1 TBS vanilla extract, 1 TBS lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/3 cup canola oil, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup soy milk, 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Grease 8 inch pan; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir vinegar and soy milk together in measuring cup.
- Whisk baking powder, salt, flour, baking soda, & sugar together in bowl.
- Mix canola oil, water, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract into soy milk mixture with fork, then soy milk mixture into your flour mix until lumps are gone. Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes then perform the toothpick test. If it's clean, the cake is ready to cool!
Ingredients: 1 cup double cream, 9 oz mascarpone, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix until desired texture and thickness is achieved.
To make it vegan: Use a vegan cream cheese, vegan butter, and sugar. Also, instead of cream, use coconut cream (vegan whipped cream).